The Importance of Hazmat Physicals
If you work with hazardous materials for your job, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration requires you to receive hazmat physicals at least once a year. Workmed Occupational Health in El Paso offers thorough hazmat physicals that meet OSHA requirements. We’re dedicated to helping you quickly and efficiently so you can get back to work in no time after your physical.
Here is why you should receive a hazmat physical every year.
1. They Detect Significant Health Problems
While you probably have a high-quality hazmat suit that you wear for work, you’re still being exposed to harmful chemicals and materials in one way, shape, or form. A hazmat physical can help to detect these issues early on, so you can receive treatment and your place of employment can know what to do to better protect its employees.
2. They Keep You Safe
Every person’s job is different, meaning you may be exposed to more or fewer chemicals and hazardous materials than other employees. Hazmat physicals ensure, that, no matter how much you are exposed to hazardous materials, you are staying safe on the job all while meeting OSHA’s requirements for your job and health and safety needs.
3. They’re Thorough
During a hazmat physical, you will be tested using different techniques and for different issues, including:
- To see if you test positive for Hepatitis B. You will also receive a vaccine for the disease.
- You will receive chest x-rays to ensure everything is fine there.
- You will also undergo an EKG, which ensures your heart is functioning properly.
- Your doctor will administer a spirometry test, which checks to see if you have a lung infection.
- They will also check your hearing via an auditory test.
- Lastly, they will take urine and blood samples
The physicals are designed to check for infections, diseases, and other forms of exposure within your body. Physicals are ordered at least once a year to ensure you are remaining safe at your job as the years go by.
Hazmat Physicals with Workmed Occupational Health
If your company works with us for your occupational health needs, we’ll ensure your visit to our medical office is swell. We offer top-notch services and will ensure your hazmat physical goes as smoothly as possible. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment or to learn more about the services we offer. We look forward to helping you!